Monday, February 3, 2014

A Walk To Remember

3473                My First Nicholas Sparks

      I’m not entirely sure where I should begin in this entry. After experiencing Nicholas Sparks’ first book, I felt empty. I felt nothing. I felt inhumane. Being the cold-hearted person that I am, there’s something inside me that I realized was missing – and I think it’s love.
  
      I am not a big fan of romance. And surely, I am not a fan of Nicholas Sparks. But that was until I read “A Walk To Remember”. I always find myself looking at the bestsellers at the bookstore and Nicholas Sparks was always there. Based on the summaries, I thought that all of his books were just cliché, nonsensical stories. I just shrugged it off, thinking that it would just waste my time.

     It was one of those days when I was looking for a book in the library because I didn’t know what to read until I stumbled upon a small, hard-covered book, entitled “A Walk To Remember”. The title at first glance caught my attention. It was indeed a risk for me to take, but my temptation couldn’t hold any longer. I grabbed it, started reading it, and to no notion of time – finished it.

    The story takes in to the perspective of Landon Carter who  cares too much about what people thought of him for being the son of a congressman. Meanwhile, Jaimie Sullivan, a religiously faithful girl who always carries a bible with her would be the least girl Landon would probably want to marry. But suddenly, a twist of Landon’s fate soon unravels from the homecoming dance, where Jaimie was Landon’s partner.

     I’m not the type of reader who cries over books. But this story – short and simple, yet marvelously written through a guy’s perspective – had taken me on the verge of tears no matter how much I tried to control it. I never thought that I would actually like this book, given the fact that I am not inclined to such.  What is written in the book has a deeper, profound meaning in it, and that’s what I love about how Sparks gave the message. To think of it, the story has simple elements yet turned on to something that drastically sipped my soul – a not-so-cool guy finds himself getting inlove with the isolated ugly girl. The guy never thought of getting in love with her at all. The girl suddenly becomes a pretty swan, and which later on, admits something tragic that changed the guy’s life forever.

     Cliché, but hey, this is one hell of a thing to read. If you’re desperately looking for a romance book, no doubt I assure you this is something that will make you smile, cry, and go back to.



No comments:

Post a Comment